What Have You Done for YOU Lately?
"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others."— Audrey Hepburn
Life has been challenging for many in these unprecedented times. Self-care is needed now more than ever!
Navigating 2020 and Making YOU a Priority
I have learned a lot during this whole COVID/2020 timeline and that is that self-care and how I choose to look at things matters. We can choose to be happy no matter what. We can always find something to be grateful for, no matter what. How we respond to the world matters…the more we love on ourselves, the more love we can put out into the world.
It is impossible to overestimate the value and importance of self-care. In a society where we are conditioned to be selfless and always put others’ needs before our own, you may be wondering, “What exactly is self-care?”
Self-care is exactly what it sounds like. It is when you take care of your most precious asset: YOU. After all, you are with you 24 hours a day and will be with you for the duration of your life. And, as one of my past teachers puts it, “Life is a long time”!
Why not try to take as best care of yourself as possible and treat yourself as good if not better than all of your other commitments and relationships? I know, I know, you’re probably saying to yourself, “Self-care?! That’s just another phrase for selfish? And I’m not that kind of person!”
I want to encourage others to think differently about the importance of self-care. As many have said, you can’t take care of anyone or anything else unless you’ve invested time and energy into your own vitality and renewal. It is IMPOSSIBLE to give from an empty bucket! Something or someone will suffer!
Ways to Jump-Start Your Self-Care
To jump-start your practice of self-care, I’ve compiled a list of various self-care activities that I invite you to try, ranging from free to costing some money. I hope that they provide some guidance as you develop a self-care plan to revitalize and celebrate the “you” you deserve to be!
* Read a good book
* Take a walk on a beautiful sunny and brisk day
* Give yourself a manicure and/or pedicure or pamper your feet in luxury with this all natural peppermint foot scrub and lotion! Enjoy natural relief from everyday overworked feet.
* Get a massage or enjoy some heat and aromatherapy with these comforting, handmade hot packs on those tired muscles
* Cook or bake a new healthy recipe
* Take a personality assessment and see what new things you can learn about yourself from it
* Take a nap (you can use one of those visualization/sleep soundtracks to enhance your rest!)
* Watch a movie or your favorite TV show
* Create a vision board and/or script how you want different areas of your life to be
* Skype or Zoom with a friend or family member
* Exercise in the way that feels best to you!! (e.g., walking, running, yoga, etc.)
* Meditate to be still and center yourself
* Play a musical instrument or listen to music that you enjoy
* Take time for self-reflection. Assess what is working in your life and what is not. Then make a game plan for adjustments
* Get artistic! Go to an online coloring book website and print out coloring book pages to fill in… or you can look online for arts and projects ideas!
* Take a relaxing and hot bubbly bath or let the vapors of aromatherapy enhance a hot shower to wash away the day’s stresses
* Try a new luxury bar of soap or loofah exfoliator bar to help relax you in the bath or shower
* Light a seasonal candle and delight your senses
* If you are an animal lover, spending time with our pets has been shown to be good for our physical and mental well being
Please comment if we are missing any of your favorite self-care activities. We would love to hear from you!
Love and Blessings,